Moving and Packing Tips
● Clear out unwanted goods – hold a garage sale.
● Get rid of flammables – paint, petrol, gas cylinders.
● Empty fuel from mowers, clippers, trimmers and so on.
● Clothes – do you need them all? Charity shops may want them.
● Separate books – disposable, family reading, valuable.
● Check all electrical goods – will they work in the new home?
● Start making up your change of address list.
● Arrange to have mail forwarded.
● Arrange termination date for electricity, gas, oil, telephone and other main suppliers.
● If you are taking electrical goods such as a stereo, see if you still have their original boxes.
● Have rugs cleaned.
● If you have children, separate cherished toys to travel with you.
● Round up personal documentation – marriage/birth certificates, driving licenses and so on.
● Keep passports separate so they are not packed.
● Want to take the car? Check on import regulations and the duty payable.
● With regards to family pets– make sure vaccinations and documentation are up to date.
● Will your new home be ready? If not, you need to arrange temporary storage.
● Shops, schools, theaters, life styles – it’s never too early to find out about your new home.
● Start running down freezer stocks.
● Arrange your finances – close or transfer bank accounts, savings accounts and so on, if necessary.